RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Default UK Defence Review in T2K (V1)

Afternoon all,

IRL the UK Government implemented a defence review in 1991 known as Options for Change (details of which can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Options_for_Change)

Attached is a proposed alternative for T2K in a V1 timeline called "Options for the Future" which I hope some may find to be of interest - it forms part of the backstory for my non canonical UK work and is the basis for my December 1996 British Army order of battle and some of the equipment fielded. It is a first draft, particularly the sections on the RAF and RN, so feedback / suggestions are most welcome.

A few acknowledgments...virtually all of the section on the TA was inspired by Louied, who did all the hard work on the rebadging of some Battalions, whilst the idea of the F16 Fighting Falcon in RAF service first originated on the etranger website (as far as I know).

So...let me know what you think...and just to reemphasise this is a V1 timeline...

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Options for the Future.pdf (152.3 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 12-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Well done. I like it.

The changes were realistic and not drastic or anything... quite fitting actually.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Afternoon all,

IRL the UK Government implemented a defence review in 1991 known as Options for Change (details of which can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Options_for_Change)

Attached is a proposed alternative for T2K in a V1 timeline called "Options for the Future" which I hope some may find to be of interest - it forms part of the backstory for my non canonical UK work and is the basis for my December 1996 British Army order of battle and some of the equipment fielded. It is a first draft, particularly the sections on the RAF and RN, so feedback / suggestions are most welcome.

A few acknowledgments...virtually all of the section on the TA was inspired by Louied, who did all the hard work on the rebadging of some Battalions, whilst the idea of the F16 Fighting Falcon in RAF service first originated on the etranger website (as far as I know).

So...let me know what you think...and just to reemphasise this is a V1 timeline...

Cheers
Really good work.

A few points/notes (all of which are minor) - many of which I only know through my errors!

* Until the armoured strength was cut back there was a Challenger I/Chieftain upgrade programme. Given there is no Gulf War to show the strengths of the Challenger I this will likely emphasize the engagement time and accuracy of the main gun.

* Chieftains would have replaced the AOP Centurions and formed the basis of a number of engineering variants (plus things such as the Marksman Chieftain if you use this). Many would still be required as battlefield replacement vehicles.

* The HSF recruits could have had service in ANY of the armed services (regular or reserve), or the Cadet Forces or the Police - I made this mistake too!

* As a political measure the Falcon F1s could have British engines?

* 41 Commando's traditions were handed on to the RM Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre - it therefore makes sense to use this as the basis for the reformed Commando and the MAWC adopting a composite tradition perhaps?

* Without the Gulf War the logistical shortfall will be less apparent and units will suffer badly from ammo shortages in the early days.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks both for your comments.

James, thanks, appreciate your suggestions. I'll rewrite the section on MBT's to incoporate your points about the Chieftain. I should have also mentioned that my Options still has the RAC Squadron in Berlin using the Chieftain. I'm undecided about the Marksman at the minute (on the subject of air defence I also need to take a closer look at the Starstreak HVM). I'm actually tempted to write a separate article on British MBT's in the Twilight War (Chieftain, Chally 1, and Chally 2) but I'll need to do some more research for that. I'll look into the Falcon engines as well...it's a good idea, but as far as I know Falcons have only ever had US manufactured engines...maybe a deal to produce an engine under licence might be an option.

Good point re: the HSF...I should have picked up on that. I'd no idea the Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre had assumed 41 Commando's traditions, but what you suggest makes sense to me. I'll include something in the text of next draft to that effect.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Thanks both for your comments.

James, thanks, appreciate your suggestions. I'll rewrite the section on MBT's to incoporate your points about the Chieftain. I should have also mentioned that my Options still has the RAC Squadron in Berlin using the Chieftain. I'm undecided about the Marksman at the minute (on the subject of air defence I also need to take a closer look at the Starstreak HVM). I'm actually tempted to write a separate article on British MBT's in the Twilight War (Chieftain, Chally 1, and Chally 2) but I'll need to do some more research for that. I'll look into the Falcon engines as well...it's a good idea, but as far as I know Falcons have only ever had US manufactured engines...maybe a deal to produce an engine under licence might be an option.

Good point re: the HSF...I should have picked up on that. I'd no idea the Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre had assumed 41 Commando's traditions, but what you suggest makes sense to me. I'll include something in the text of next draft to that effect.
As I said - no point in repeating my mistakes.

Just to warn you I'm working on British tanks at the minute, you may want to wait and nick any useful ideas!

As a note the Berlin Brigade had some FV432s converted with Fox (?) turrets to make surrogate AFVs. These were the only ones converted. As I'm (mainly) using version 2.2 I don't have a Berlin Brigade so I've not got a lot on info on it to hand.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Just to warn you I'm working on British tanks at the minute, you may want to wait and nick any useful ideas!
No worries...I've got a couple of other things I'm working on anyway so I'll park that idea for the moment...look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Rainbow,
Thank You ! Looks brilliant ! Hoping to see the stuff you're working on in the near future.

;ames,
Where did you get that info about 41 Commando ? I know that Commachio Group (the current Fleet Protection Group) was 43 Commando in all but name (used the same company designations, lanyard, battle honours, etc.). Is this current ? I know that the intell/recce units of 3 Cdo Bde. recently took the name & lineage of the WWII 30 Assault Unit.

13 FV432's were modified with Fox turrets (30mm Rarden) in the late 70's I believe. 12 eventually went to the Berlin Bde. (Four to each resident Bn., I have pics of the Allied Forces Day Parade which confirms this). The three Berlin bn.' s had a unique organization besides these FV432's. The Recce Plt. Had 8 Fox CVR(W) and the AT Plt. Had both MILAN & WOMBAT.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied View Post
Rainbow,
Thank You ! Looks brilliant ! Hoping to see the stuff you're working on in the near future.

;ames,
Where did you get that info about 41 Commando ? I know that Commachio Group (the current Fleet Protection Group) was 43 Commando in all but name (used the same company designations, lanyard, battle honours, etc.). Is this current ? I know that the intell/recce units of 3 Cdo Bde. recently took the name & lineage of the WWII 30 Assault Unit.

13 FV432's were modified with Fox turrets (30mm Rarden) in the late 70's I believe. 12 eventually went to the Berlin Bde. (Four to each resident Bn., I have pics of the Allied Forces Day Parade which confirms this). The three Berlin bn.' s had a unique organization besides these FV432's. The Recce Plt. Had 8 Fox CVR(W) and the AT Plt. Had both MILAN & WOMBAT.
Oops my mistake should have read 43! I was working from (faulty) memory. I blame it on having had the kids and grandkids here!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 AM

Good stuff!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Attached updated version incorporating a few suggestions and expanding on a few points. Much as I liked the idea I decided not to go with British engines for the Falcons.

Thanks again for your comments / feedback.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: pdf V1.2 Options For The Future 2nd Draft.pdf (207.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Smashing work as ever, I did like the stuff on the rebadged TA battalions.

LouieD, RainbowSix check your emails. I've done my first draft of complete British army. So if you have the time for a long read I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
Smashing work as ever, I did like the stuff on the rebadged TA battalions.
Cheers dude...just to reiterate though, Louie deserves all the credit for the TA stuff...rebadging was his idea.