RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

View Poll Results: What is your favorite sniper rifle for your PC?
M-21 17 22.08%
SVD 8 10.39%
M-40 4 5.19%
Barrett M-82 .50 cal 10 12.99%
Accuracy International .338 Lapua Magnum 17 22.08%
C3A Parker Hale 4 5.19%
other (explain below) 18 23.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Really? I think you just added to her sex appeal. That's like a bonus to her charisma roll.
Kind of like in Police Academy 2, where they're having sex and in the process of getting undressed, pulling guns out of holsters all over their bodies? I loved that bra holster with the Browning Baby in it...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Kind of like in Police Academy 2, where they're having sex and in the process of getting undressed, pulling guns out of holsters all over their bodies? I loved that bra holster with the Browning Baby in it...
Yes, if you can get a chick like her, you just won the game of life.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 PM

I chose the M-40 as it's the closest I could find to my own Remington M-700P sniper rifle in .300 Winmag.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
I chose the M-40 as it's the closest I could find to my own Remington M-700P sniper rifle in .300 Winmag.
I have two of the 700Ps in 308, weird i know,but I really like them. And its plenty good for my needs. But allass I chose the SVD, mainly because of the cool factor and that I also have one. (a Chinese NDM-86 in 7.62x54r)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Kalkwarf View Post
I have two of the 700Ps in 308, weird i know,but I really like them. And its plenty good for my needs. But allass I chose the SVD, mainly because of the cool factor and that I also have one. (a Chinese NDM-86 in 7.62x54r)
Sweet,
Currently I'm between Cali and a Farm in Southern Oregon. Hopefully I can find a good job and buy that MK 14 Mod 0 clone that's been on my to get list.

As far as the SVD goes I'd love to know what the realistic effective range for one is as I write fiction for fun and I have a badguy who uses one.

It will also be helpful when i get around to writing TW2K fiction.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 AM

When I was stationed at Fort Knox, I had the chance to try several mags through a M-21. Nice accuracy, excellent sight, good ergonomics and while some dislike the semi-auto, I never had any problems with re-acquiring the target. The really nice thing was that the range master was a regular at Camp Perry...and he swore by the M-21 and had the silver and gold medals to back it up!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM

I also voted for the WA-2000; the only sniper rifle suitable for formal wear! Interestingly enough, I've been offered 2 SSG-69s; one in .30-06" and one in .243"- all I need to do is find the cash!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM

I like the M21 because of it's M14 lineage, but I like the Barrett's anti-material capability, too.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:11 PM

M21 is a good idea, but the M14 base gun was problematic -- it's not inherently overly accurate, and while you can make an M14 very accurate, it doesn't tend to stay that way under hard use. Keeping the M21s in the inventory shooting at sniping level accuracy was problematic and the main shortcoming of that system.

The SR-25/Mk 11/M110 is a better way to get the same job done.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Being honest, the choice if I have to make whilst being realistic would be the AI in 338. Its just that good, fired one a few times, and while it was a bit heavy, and kicked a little harder than a 308, its worth it for its performance.

But, just from pure S&G's sake, from the IWotW, PzB39.

Oh yeah.

Damage and Penetration to dream of, with a range that is in line with other sniper rifles. Not the best I'll grant, but...

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
But, just from pure S&G's sake, from the IWotW, PzB39.

Oh yeah.

Damage and Penetration to dream of, with a range that is in line with other sniper rifles. Not the best I'll grant, but...
Now yer talkin'!
There's a reason the 2.0 Small Arms book has a smilie face in the muzzle.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Oh and hey, no love for the M1 Carbine Sniper System?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Oh and hey, no love for the M1 Carbine Sniper System?
I'll admit to having an inappropriate amount of love for the M1 carbine, particularly with an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint Micro. But for T2k purposes, the M3 is gonna have something of an encumbrance penalty if it's mounting the original optics...

I'd have to go with the vz.54 for the combination of obscurity and beauty, or the SSG-82 for weird ineffectualness that no one would expect.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I'll admit to having an inappropriate amount of love for the M1 carbine, particularly with an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint Micro. But for T2k purposes, the M3 is gonna have something of an encumbrance penalty if it's mounting the original optics...
You know they say that the US has no penal battalions but I'd wager giving a troop a case of those things and ordering them into battle using 'em would constitute punishment duty based on the weight alone...!

Quote:
I'd have to go with the vz.54 for the combination of obscurity and beauty, or the SSG-82 for weird ineffectualness that no one would expect.

- C.
Wait, isn't that the Skorpion?! (the vz.54).
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Wait, isn't that the Skorpion?! (the vz.54).
Nope, the Skorpion's the vz.61 - not much of a sniper weapon unless you're taking down squirrels. The vz.54 is a Czechoslovakian-built sniper development of the Mosin-Nagant action:

http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/snipertext1.asp

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM

AH. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
M21 is a good idea, but the M14 base gun was problematic -- it's not inherently overly accurate, and while you can make an M14 very accurate, it doesn't tend to stay that way under hard use. Keeping the M21s in the inventory shooting at sniping level accuracy was problematic and the main shortcoming of that system.

The SR-25/Mk 11/M110 is a better way to get the same job done.
A lot of that is the semi-auto action, keeps knocking the ole zero off. But the NCO that ran me through the M-21 always swore that if the shooter double-checked his zero after firing a sequence, then the problem could be avoided. The zero loss is the major reason why you so seldom see semi-auto sniper rifles. What a lot of people forget is that the M-21 was never really designed for sniping duties. It was designed for sharpshooter or what the service calls designated marksmen, a trained infantryman engaging targets inbetween 500-900 meters with sustained, accurate fire. In this role, the M-21 is hard to beat. Its when you compare it to dedicated sniper rifles that the M-21 falls short.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
A lot of that is the semi-auto action, keeps knocking the ole zero off. But the NCO that ran me through the M-21 always swore that if the shooter double-checked his zero after firing a sequence, then the problem could be avoided. The zero loss is the major reason why you so seldom see semi-auto sniper rifles. What a lot of people forget is that the M-21 was never really designed for sniping duties. It was designed for sharpshooter or what the service calls designated marksmen, a trained infantryman engaging targets inbetween 500-900 meters with sustained, accurate fire. In this role, the M-21 is hard to beat. Its when you compare it to dedicated sniper rifles that the M-21 falls short.
Again the tidbits one comes across.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull View Post
Again the tidbits one comes across.
Thank Gawd I had the sense to keep journals when I was in the military!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Dangerclose

I've never fired on myself but the barrett is dat dere sexy. it's the sniper rifle of my pc.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM
180 grains of diplomacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVI View Post
I've never fired on myself but the barrett is dat dere sexy. it's the sniper rifle of my pc.
By Barrett, I assume you mean the M82A1 or one of their other .50 BMG rifles. (They do make them in a variety of calibers, you know.) The M82A1 shoots nice, but you really start to notice the recoil after a few shots, plus it's a boat anchor.

I've had the privilege of shooting more exotic firearms in my life than I can even count (ask Rockwolf; he can tell you about me). If I were sniping for a living, and had to schlep my primary long gun up and down the mountains of east Asscrackistan, my rifle of choice would be the AMP DSR-1, in .338 Lapua. It's incredibly accurate, comparatively light-weight, ergonomically friendly, holds a zero extremely well (even when handled roughly), and it breaks down easily. As a bonus, it's modular, so you can configure it to suit your next mission. Oh, and let's not forget the additional detail that I can carry seven rounds for this at the same weight of one round of .50 BMG. (FYI, the AI AWM would have been my other choice in this caliber, but it weighs an additional kilo.)

Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgunner View Post
I've had the privilege of shooting more exotic firearms in my life than I can even count (ask Rockwolf; he can tell you about me). If I were sniping for a living, and had to schlep my primary long gun up and down the mountains of east Asscrackistan, my rifle of choice would be the AMP DSR-1, in .338 Lapua. It's incredibly accurate, comparatively light-weight, ergonomically friendly, holds a zero extremely well (even when handled roughly), and it breaks down easily. As a bonus, it's modular, so you can configure it to suit your next mission. Oh, and let's not forget the additional detail that I can carry seven rounds for this at the same weight of one round of .50 BMG. (FYI, the AI AWM would have been my other choice in this caliber, but it weighs an additional kilo.)

Mark is a former USMC EOD who has spent the past what is it now 25 years as a firearms instructor and Title II weapons collector. Hopefully he has his HK21E up an running next time I'm upstate. It also reminds me that I should get some good ammo for my sniper rifle and hit the range.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Just spent 15 minutes on Wikipedia schooling myself on US federal firearms regulations and what being a "Title II weapons collector" means. I envy those of you living in the US who are able to collect such firearms. Here in Australia unless you're a regular hunter of large animals it just isn't worth it to jump through all the hoops to own even a bolt action large calibre rifle.

I wouldn't consider myself a "gun nut" or to have any kind of unhealthy or "rambo" interest in firearms but I have a long-standing interest in military and paramilitary firearms and in shooting. I suppose eventually I might join a pistol shooting club but unless you're in the military or are one of a tiny number of qualified and licensed civilian aerial (helicopter) shooters, or fall into a few other highly restricted categories, you can forget about possessing automatic or even semi automatic rifles in any military calibre. Dammit.

Oh, and respect to you, buzzgunner. Marine EOD and firearms instructor, what a fascinating career you must have had.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Dangerclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgunner View Post
By Barrett, I assume you mean the M82A1 or one of their other .50 BMG rifles. (They do make them in a variety of calibers, you know.) The M82A1 shoots nice, but you really start to notice the recoil after a few shots, plus it's a boat anchor.

Nice. And I did mean the M82. I simply slangged it as I thought whenever somebody referred to the Barrett it was the M82 they were speaking of.

I have only had the pleasure to fire a few guns, ones being the .45 and ar15 I own. And my friends M14 plus a few long barrel hunting rifles but that's it. Here in Canada restricted gun owners are few and far between.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
...you can forget about possessing automatic or even semi automatic rifles in any military calibre. Dammit.
Yes, legally.... and none of us here would ever intentionally break the law and own something like an automatic shotgun or anything would they...?

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Yes, legally.... and none of us here would ever intentionally break the law and own something like an automatic shotgun or anything would they...?
Well sure, I suspect we both know of people that reported their semi-autos "stolen" when the buyback was announced and just buried or otherwise sequestered their now-illegal firearms. I've reached a time in my life where I'd like to stay within the law wherever possible and I'm not willing to risk being caught with an unlicensed firearm (I'd like to retain the option to legally own firearms in the future).
Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
Really? I think you just added to her sex appeal. That's like a bonus to her charisma roll.
hey i was gonna say that...

of course i did once have the habit of picking up chicks at gun shows.

as for my preferred snipers rifle i gotta go with the M21. accurate, reliable, and if someone gets too close i can hit them in the face with it and not worry about hurting the weapon.
then there's the old and true maxim that "if ya can't do it with a .308 your doing it wrong"
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Designated Marksman

I'm a fan of the Dragunov SVD. Its not as accurate as others. But it really the first semi sniper rifle around. If used as it should be. Its a decent medium range rifle. That being said, I'm a traditionalist I really enjoy shooting the Springfield M1903A4. So I guess that would be my bolt gun choice.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM

6.5X284 on a savage 110 frame
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
When I've run T2k games the players who go te sniper route end up packing some DMR variant. Sure they have a long range puppy but 9 times out of 10 it's left with the rest of the spare kit after a while.

Tags
polls, weapons