British DPM 17 24.29%
Canadian CADPAT* 9 12.86%
Danish Pattern 84 Flecktarn 1 1.43%
Polish Pantera 1 1.43%
Soviet Camo** 4 5.71%
Other (Please Specify in Post) 14 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Believe me, I know.

I've been looking for the pattern for years now. I even asked US Cavalry if they had the swatch patch pictures still, and they didn't have them.

Thus I have been tearing through all my old artwork looking for the original drawings to try and find the pictures of the pattern so i can use that, but so far no luck in finding them. it's been a real pain...
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Of course not! It has numbers, and they count down to the time of your death!
why do my fatigues have a 00:01 on them?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

I picked flecktarn for a number of reasons but they all boil down to personal preferance.

But in all honesty I have to say "other" was my true choice: dark khaki. Call me old school but I feel that for the most part camo isn't needed save for troops in special roles. I've seen many a trooper use camo as a crutch to excuse poor field skills and by and large the various patterns seem to foster an idea that you don't have to try as hard to stay hidden. Dark Khaki (or Flat Dark Earth as the "operator types" (and that's another rant) call it) is a true multi environment colour, it blends well in the desert as well as the green sorts of places. Besides proper design of the uniform itself can lend to one that works well in the field and looks sharper than hell in garrison.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 AM

No mention of the East German Strichtarn?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
But in all honesty I have to say "other" was my true choice: dark khaki. Call me old school but I feel that for the most part camo isn't needed save for troops in special roles.
I've heard it said that the perfect camouflage pattern is perfect only only until you move.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I've heard it said that the perfect camouflage pattern is perfect only only until you move.
Very true. I remember my instructors telling us over and over again during basic that "movement attracts the eye".
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Very true. I remember my instructors telling us over and over again during basic that "movement attracts the eye".
What the hell was that little phrase they taught in regards to personal cam, something like 'the 5 S's and the M" or something like that but I can't remember all the S words (Shape, Shine, Silhouette, Sound, ? and Movement).
Was it even 5 or just those 4? I can't remember. Was it Size perhaps?
Targan, Legbreaker, help me out here!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Assuming it was the same as here in the UK it was;

Shape
Shine
Shadow
Silhouette
Spacing

Movement

Aircraft

Thats the way we were taught anyway.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Sabre Ready!

On the subject of "perfect" camo patterns,
Seems that with all the money and time spent by the US Army to bring us the ACU universal good everywhere pattern seems to have not worked out so well.

While they are keeping the uniform style, the army is beginning to issue a new pattern to troops going to Afghanistan- Multicam. So much for only having to keep track of one kind of bdu (at one time I had three woodland styles- fireproof, ripstop, and temperate (my personal fav), choco-chip, and desert 3 colour, which to be fair, was just nuts as we was supposed to have 4 each according to our regimental commander).

Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM

Went to the local mall and looked to make sure that the local hiphop shop was still selling its Pink, White and Grey BDUs. Now then, there are those out there in the forum who are wondering why I even bring up this...but I feel that we are overlooking a critical need for today's military, namely the ability to blend in to the urban club scene and to inflict massive damage on hiphop terrorists!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Went to the local mall and looked to make sure that the local hiphop shop was still selling its Pink, White and Grey BDUs. Now then, there are those out there in the forum who are wondering why I even bring up this...but I feel that we are overlooking a critical need for today's military, namely the ability to blend in to the urban club scene and to inflict massive damage on hiphop terrorists!!!

ROTFLMAO.... In all seriousness the it may just work in some neighborhoods...lol
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
On the subject of "perfect" camo patterns,
Seems that with all the money and time spent by the US Army to bring us the ACU universal good everywhere pattern seems to have not worked out so well.

While they are keeping the uniform style, the army is beginning to issue a new pattern to troops going to Afghanistan- Multicam. So much for only having to keep track of one kind of bdu (at one time I had three woodland styles- fireproof, ripstop, and temperate (my personal fav), choco-chip, and desert 3 colour, which to be fair, was just nuts as we was supposed to have 4 each according to our regimental commander).
Ripstop-lol. They were nice if you needed a uniform to starch and if you wore out in the field and they rip, it would rip along the seem for a lot further than normally would.

It seemed like every time we went to the field in the Summer someone would get chew for wearing temperate ones out the field for wear the heavy uniform when he should have set of the light ripstop to wear.

4 sets of each huh. That amusing since at during Basic Training we were issued 2 sets of temperate and 2 set of ripstop woodland. The only time we seen desert camo which came in choco-chip then was about a week before we deployed overseas...lol
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I picked flecktarn for a number of reasons but they all boil down to personal preferance.

But in all honesty I have to say "other" was my true choice: dark khaki. Call me old school but I feel that for the most part camo isn't needed save for troops in special roles. I've seen many a trooper use camo as a crutch to excuse poor field skills and by and large the various patterns seem to foster an idea that you don't have to try as hard to stay hidden. Dark Khaki (or Flat Dark Earth as the "operator types" (and that's another rant) call it) is a true multi environment colour, it blends well in the desert as well as the green sorts of places. Besides proper design of the uniform itself can lend to one that works well in the field and looks sharper than hell in garrison.
It seems Khaki in various shades and the various shade of olive-green worked for long time for the normal troops...

We are forgetting the next most commonly used color of basic Black that some many "operator types" like to say they use too... *Shrug*
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota1342000 View Post
My vote is for the woodland pattern with a qualifier; the ripstop BDUs, not the cotton ones. When the cotton fades you stick out like a turd in a punchbowl.
Okay granted the cotton would fade, but they lasted a lot longer. Many time a trooper would keep them just to wear while out in the field. They didn't rip out so easily...
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Sabre Ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull View Post
Ripstop-lol. They were nice if you needed a uniform to starch and if you wore out in the field and they rip, it would rip along the seem for a lot further than normally would.

It seemed like every time we went to the field in the Summer someone would get chew for wearing temperate ones out the field for wear the heavy uniform when he should have set of the light ripstop to wear.

4 sets of each huh. That amusing since at during Basic Training we were issued 2 sets of temperate and 2 set of ripstop woodland. The only time we seen desert camo which came in choco-chip then was about a week before we deployed overseas...lol
Yeah, this was from the regimental commander that wound up relieved due to poor command climate. But to be fair, I couldn't bitch: I was one of those who had to have sharp uniforms, 2 sets of the pricey A's, dress blues and whites. Never did get mess, but I did think long and hard about it.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this was from the regimental commander that wound up relieved due to poor command climate. But to be fair, I couldn't bitch: I was one of those who had to have sharp uniforms, 2 sets of the pricey A's, dress blues and whites. Never did get mess, but I did think long and hard about it.
Lucky you (I think)!

One set of dress blues and the only mess dress ever seen was when our squadron commander showed up in a set for a squadron dinner. I guess he could be excused, he had just finished two years in the Pentagon; even more surprisingly, he was a damned fine light colonel...didn't play the usual games, which is probably why he was exilied to the border cav!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM
The Stat Guy

LTC Shimmick, our PMS in ROTC, had mess dress. Looked sharp, but I kept thinkng, "One little drop..."

Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Sabre Ready!

I think the only thing that stopped me from getting mess dress was the talk at the time of a new uniform, balking at the price of having one made for me - I didn't get dress, and one of my "A's" from clothing supply, no not me...- and finally I think it was a little wrong for a staff sergeant having a set of mess dress for honestly, no real reason. Yes, Lowell was my role model.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
The Stat Guy

I never even got dress blues, and didn't need them. I had two tailored sets of class As, though -- my shape didn't change the whole time I was in the Army, except in Basic.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I never even got dress blues, and didn't need them. I had two tailored sets of class As, though -- my shape didn't change the whole time I was in the Army, except in Basic.
Guess it was the thang with the ACRs...Squadron Mess Night, Regimental Mess Night, Change of Command Night...blues or your best set of Class As and there was no shirking, unless you were on duty.

One of the things that always impressed me was the strong sense of tradition that the ACRs kept. You might see photos of the chain of command in a armor battalion, but the ACRs also had photos of every regimental commanding officer...you also heard the colonel being refered to as the 32nd, 33rd or 34th Colonel of the Regiment. Squadron headquarters with its Wall of Honor, listing every battle that the regiment took part in. The names of all of the winners of the Medal of Honor. The regimental birthday. Right on down to the honorable post of Squadron and Regimental Bugler...and when we had a Bierfest with the local German unit, we used to have fun blowing all of the old calls....

The old regiments had a proud sense of tradition, guess that is what brought out the best in us, knowing that the old 2nd Dragoons were looking on...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Sabre Ready!

It was the same with the third, a lot of history there that the regiment was very big on. And you ease of life in the regiment was much better the more you knew, probably that's one of the reasons I wound up in good positions, well, that and how I gamed the recruiters to get max bonus, the exact MOS, the exact secondary training, and a pinpoint troop assignment before I would sign up. Evidently the troop heard about it while I was in basic and the word got around. Pretty intimidating to a brand new private showing up to post and hearing, "Oh. You're they guy we was told to look out for. Hang on while I call your sergeant major."

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Guess it was the thang with the ACRs...Squadron Mess Night, Regimental Mess Night, Change of Command Night...blues or your best set of Class As and there was no shirking, unless you were on duty.
Sounds like a bunch of garritroopers

Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Sabre Ready!

Quote:
Sounds like a bunch of garritroopers
Say it with a smile partner...

How's jump school work? Week one separate the men from the boys, week two the men from the fools, and on the third the fools jump?

We, on the other hand, have along and honoured tradition of being a higher class of professional soldiers.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Haven't seen this thread in a while. I know it's not in the original T2K timeline (or v2.2, for that matter), but I really like the Multicam-derivative kits that the U.S. and British armies are transitioning to. It looks really sharp and it seems effective in a variety of different environments.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

I had to check back through the thread... surprisingly, no one's left this here yet:

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

As far as patterns not available in the original timeline, I have to give the nod to the Kryptek family.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered Registrant

I'm sure I have visited that site in the past!
It is a little surprising that it wasn't posted before but thanks Tegyrius for adding it here, I can see I'll be spending a lot of time on a particular site in the next few days...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I like the current Aussie camo. It kind of looks like the leopard spot camo that some U.S. Marine Corps (and SEAL and GB) units wore in the '40s-early '60s, but much more subtle (and, I should imagine, more effective).

I didn't include it in the poll since you probably wouldn't see it in the ETO and I had to set a limit somewhere- otherwise, there'd be dozens of poll choices.
Called the "Duck Hunter", as it was sold post war to said hunters, it was designed by a horticulturalist.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 PM

Default Ok this is not serious

But where is the "tiger stripe"?
er and yes I did have some.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. Ox View Post
But where is the "tiger stripe"?
er and yes I did have some.
Tiger Stripe with the lighter green is good with brush and young leafy trees, the darker stuff is good around cedar. I like the older two early woodland stuff depending on the area. Found out from Viet era friends Woodland had three generations of patterns.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 AM

Ive found a Youtube channel that demonstrates various camouflage patterns It's actually rather interesting how well or badly some of the patterns work.

Camouflage videos

Tags
camoflage, fatigues, polls