View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Group,

There appears to be some misconceptions or assumptions that have become accepted over the years.

1) While there turned out to be a 95% die-off, there is no evidence this was the "assumed" casualty rate for the Project. In fact, you can make the case that the Project was geared for a limited exchange (with US casualties in the millions, not hundreds of millions), not a full-scale thermonuclear holocaust. Further, for the purposes of "Project planning", what actually happens 150 years in the future is not relevant.

2) The Project in general wasn't organised or meant to "go it alone" in almost any sense so team size and ready supplies is less of an issue. Teams are supposed to assume a leadership and training role, that is, to act as a "cadre". Although they could if needed, Project teams wouldn't necessarily provide local security in an active sense but instead train local police and paramilitary security forces (presumably under the aegis of local authorities, if present).

3) It's strongly implied in PF-10 Final Watch that there is an established C3I capability. Prime base is mentioned in TM 1-1, as well as Regional and Group commands and a supply/logistical network. There is an extensive network of dedicated communications facilities both manned and automatic (see Final Watch Commo Kilo Alpha). Control and Intelligence is glossed over somewhat but at least implied. I think it's a reasonable assumption that teams were never expected nor are they really equipped to operate on their own.

Relating this to the original question of should there be some kind of team issue as opposed to personal issue in order to allow for more reconstruction capability, I don't think it's necessary to cut down on protection in favour of reconstruction. There is no possible way to stuff enough supplies and materials in team caches to rebuild society. Heck, even a single medium-large farm needs vast amounts of seed and fertiliser to yield a decent crop. In TM 1-1 it does say that most reconstruction materials are stockpiled in the permanent Depots. (It's possible these depots even have an industrial and manufacturing capacity, maybe partially or fully automated.) There is therefore a logistical chain that would provide for materials and supplies in the long term, but bear in mind these stockpiles are still finite.

My (unproved) assumption is that most supplies and materials for reconstruction will be gained through salvage or local suppliers (if they exist). Failing that, as a kind of emergency measure supplies and materials are stockpiled in bulk in the permanent depots, regional and group supply bases and then shipped to the teams as needed. As a kind of desperation measure in case everything goes wrong (like the canon scenario) teams are also provided with their caches, which hopefully could sustain them until they are established in a community or make contact with the Project (or other) supply source.

In other words, the usual assumption in TMP is the caches are the primary source of supplies for a team. I think that it's the other way around: they are emergency stockpiles, only to be used in desperation. Caches are focused on team survival and community assistance is clearly secondary. Not because said assistance is not important, but because immediate team survival (in terms of needed equipment, munitions and food) is the overall priority.

Tony

Last edited by helbent4; 10-07-2010 at 04:30 PM.