View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
sglancy I don't wan't to contest your point (It is yours) but with Lisbon and the refinery in Porto I almost covered all my bases (outside the Azores and Madeira which can become other targets).
I don't think we are in disagreement about what would happen to Portugal during a Soviet nuclear attack. I just don't have enough information at my end to speculate on which targets in Portugal would be targeted.

I agree with your assessments about Porto and Lisbon. Porto's facilities sound like they would all be wound up by a mid-range nuke: the port, the refinery and the airport would all be severely damaged by a single airburst. And Lisbon's got so many facilities in the area that it sounds like one MIRV dropping four or five 100K weapons over the area would pretty wipe out the NATO facilities and the central government's command and control.

I do have some more questions for you:

1) Is Porto used by NATO ships? Is it just a port or is there a naval base?

2) Where are the Portuguese naval bases?

3) What are the critical targets in Monte Real and Beja? Sintra is the military HQ, Montijo is a transport base (do you mean that it's a rail transport hub?), but what's in Monte Real and Beja that's work a nuke?

I don't think the old men in the Kremlin will give a damn about any Portuguese leftists in the blast radius around Beja. If Beja is worth nuking, then it's gonna catch a nuke. On the other hand, I do like the idea that there could still be European leftist groups fighting against what's left of the central government. During the war, these groups would have organized civil disobedience, protests, the avoiding of conscription and in the most extreme cases acts of domestic terrorism as part of political campaigns against the war effort. After the nukes and the general slide into chaos, there's no reason why the more communist elements (those that envision a time for armed struggle) wouldn't try to organize for genuine revolution... or if not a genuine revolution then a warlord-style cantonment where they call each other "comrade" and steal all the farmers' crops for "redistribution."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
Still, the North would escape almost untouched. It is a very mountainous region and it would have some strong point for survival. Several mines on the Douro river can provide what is needed to manufacture ammunition (+tungsten for trade). Again, the Douro region can easily be turned to producing energy for the entire area (oil and alcohol in large quantities) plus tools in every village. In addition, Villa Nova de Gaia could be turned to energy production in no time.
I also presume that the north of Portugal has a fairly low population density too. I like the idea of civilization retreating to the fastness of the mountains to regroup. Of course, their biggest problem will be getting over-run by refugees fleeing all the chaos, fallout, and panic in the south of the country.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing