View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 AM

Default smg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
I wondered how much you guys have used SMG's in twilight games? I know I have read about character using MP5's especially the silenced version and Uzi's but its seems that most characters op for an assault rifle of some sort.

my character obtained a PPSH-41 in one of the few twilight games I played. In another game a fellow PC captured Scorpion VZ-61 but couldn't get a good supply of ammo(.32 ACP) for it so it was useless.

I think Sten and home made tube receiver guns would be plentiful as long as there was enough ammo around to warrant there manufacture.

However I never really thought that there wouldn't be a plentiful supply of firearms laying around after the war. I think there just be less ammo to shoot out of them.

Brother in Arms
An smg is a nasty weapon in RL ,but most players tend to forgo them and take an assault rifle instead because of th ebetter range ,pen and damage this offers -much like in real life imho.

A submachinegun is certainly not to be trifled with but compared to a 5.56 carbine or a 7,62N rifle it is a pea shooter in most cases.The assault rifle was pretty much designed to fill the gap that the smg couldnt cover and the LMG was to bulky for doing .

That said ,it is often a nimble addition to an armoury and look to the simple smg of the 30s sten,owen,Mp-40 (to some degree at least ) and possibly the M3 ,ppsh-43,that German mp-3000 or whats its name and even the Japanese designs from 1945 -could be made in a basement and thus
would be prolific in a world were arms supply is poor but fighting is everywhere.

A British fellow named Luty has even published manuals of homemade smgs made from over the counter plumbing items .

As for actual use in game PCs used them earlier on until they got wise to the fact that for just "1" higer bulk rating they could have something like a short barrelled collapsible stock M16 /M177 etc .

In a more civvie game were concealment is a factor I suppose SMGs would be more frequent with our group .

If it isnt out of order I would like to point out that most of these are on our site
www.thebigbookofwar.50megs.com under "Guns".