Thread: Personal Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post

The philosophy that I have always followed in games (an to be honest, life) follow the words of my namesake.

Absorb what is useful
reject what is useless
add what is specifically your own
Kato,

I couldn't agree more, and you can do this while remaining true to canon. In life we have to take the good with the bad, and that's a part of TMP as well (at least with regards to equipment if not faulty rules). It's part of what makes it feel "real" and not just some survivalist fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post

Every group is different in terms of what will keep them happy so the path to enjoyment for each will never be the same.
Heh, well spoken, but I think your namesake would label this statement as "sophistry".

Mainly because this is demonstrably untrue. How many groups demand serious and significant changes to Star Wars or Star Trek to suit them or, gosh darn it, they just won't have fun? I think all groups (including TMP) are similar in one important respect: they want to have fun.

Most changes to TMP do not alter that in any way or add to the "fun" factor. They just reflect the personal likes, dislikes, preferences and prejudices of the PD, and most of these changes are actually kind of pointless.

That said, problem-solving should always be a primary focus of TMP. Firepower and equipment use frequently take the place of brains and imagination, placing some kind of reasonable boundaries can foster creativity when players are forced to improvise.

Tony