Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
I do disagree on the analyzis of the facts you present though. Many factors should be examined such as economic development and resources etc.
I will do a GPD per capita analysis compared to patents. Africa's very poor performance is one factor that support your conclusion of a economic dependance, but I think on average the Islamic nations will fall more into the lines of South America in term of socioeconomic development. Compared to SA, my cursory read is that the Islamic nations are well behind.

Quote:
Also I would like to point out that Islam is a religion and not a culture.
Again I spoke of countries where Islam is dominant. I know polls can be flawed, but I have seen several polls where, in Islamic nations a majority of the respondents wanted greater religious influence in their politics and their lives (or even greater adoption of Sharia law). To me that equates with culture (traditions reinforced by the group), but we may be looking at different definitions of the word.

The beliefs of Muslims in Muslim dominated nations seems radically different from what I have been exposed here in the US. I live near the highest concentration of Pakistani immigrants in the country. One thing that i find so ironic is the conflict between India and Pakistan evaporates once they hit our shores. Their cultures are so similar (and so different from American culture) that they band together in shopping, restaurants and recreation. For example they are the only two immigrant cultures I have seen play cricket (often against each other).

Quote:
As for percieved stagnation in moslem countries today - I agree that the center of development is not in those countries today.
Agreed.

Last edited by kato13; 08-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Tags
y to go a