RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Default Communications in Twilight: 2000

In an 2.2e online campaign I am playing in, we have had some discussion about the radios, with what skill they would be used (I don't mean your basic transmitting and receiving but more advanced stuff) and so on. Having served originally as a Forward Observer, I have a decent knowledge of my national military communications protocol, but I am looking for insight from the forum for this as well as I believe, I am not the only one interested in this. My proposition for the house rule for communications at the game was as follows:

Quote:
I would suggest a new skill, Communications under Intelligence, to cover all communications equipment from installing field telephones (Easy task) to countering a very effective radio jamming (Formidable or even Difficult, unless contested roll is used).

Transmitting and receiving in good conditions would be pretty much an automatic success with even a 0 in the skill (practically all militaries provide at least some kind of communications training during the basic - untrained would probably roll a check against intelligence). If the conditions are worse, a roll might be required, depending on the severity of the weather. Extending range from the one given for the radio would depend on the multiplier for the range. X1.5 might be Difficult, x2 Formidable and x3 would be impossible. Different antennas would give either abonus or a direct multiplier to the range. The march antenna (flat, folding, tape-measure style) would use the lower range given (5km for manpacks) while the stationary, collapsible one would use the longer range given (25km for manpacks). Vehicular antenna would probably multiply the range by x1.5 to x2, while stationary masts (9m Excel, for an example) would have a multiplier of x3 or x4.

What would be a Language skill, however, is Morse Code.
Thoughts, ideas, anything?
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 AM

well from my experience as an FO and later working in commo it makes sense. the only thing i would suggest is make sure that everyone that's likely to receive the training has at least a few points there. for example everyone who's graduated US Army basic training hes some training. everyone thats deployed in any combat unit gets more extensive training. special forces radio sergeants, FO's and communications support specialties would have a significant amount of points there.(us fisters especially since it is our primary weapon. )
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

I'm a medic nowadays, but if you read the suggestion, there was a notion, the skill would be included to basic military training at 0 (at least) as most militaries provide at least rudimentary training in using both field telephones and manpack radios.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

I'd probably have radio operator skill separate form electronics but used as a cascade skill. AS to the rest, the most important thing is the radio antenna, i'll have to figure out what would be good rules to follow gamewise. Radio is a bit tough though, it depends on many factors like sunspots terrain, weather and so on. I guess what would be equivalent to a handie-talkie in Twilight, I once talked to Canadian hams across Lake Erie from the PA shore just by using 6 penlite batteries, a rubber duckie antenna and 1 watt of power, the signal went across the Lake for 50 miles and 20 or 30 miles inland into Ontario.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Going off my experience durring my basic infantry training we spent 3 days on comms, later when I went through my work up training prior to my deployments to Afghan, I got another two days. I also did the infantry comms course which was about a month.

I would put in the basic skill block for all army trades and put it down and follow on skill for combat arms
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

I was part of a TDY to get some infantry instruction by the Rangers in the scout unit of the Guam National Guard. I had a couple of hours on the PRC117A- this is more proper to the militia/state guard thread.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM

The hand-cranked gear of WW2 days would become popular again.

The folks who would have all the advantages in this area would be the major cantonments with the ability to manufacture radios appropriate for the day. I assume we're just speaking of tactical commo. Strategic commo could be handled by ham radio. That would make for an interesting story line, though not a very exciting adventure.

Tags
communications, radio, twilight:2000