RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Internet Intellectual

A Regiment is equivalent to a Brigade..... a little smaller with less support units.

The British Army uses the Regimental system, the U.S. Army abandoned the Regimental system with the Pentomic army structure.

Regimental titles exist but, as a structure not any longer.

*edit* I forgot to add........Regiments are pure...... A Infantry Regiment is just that..... 3-5 Battalions of Infantry. Artillery same. Cavalry same. It was part of the style of the times.

Now with combined arms thinking........ Pure stops at the Battalion level, and Brigades are built of Battalions tasked to missions.

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 03-24-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
A Regiment is equivalent to a Brigade..... a little smaller with less support units.

The British Army uses the Regimental system, the U.S. Army abandoned the Regimental system with the Pentomic army structure.

*edit* I forgot to add........Regiments are pure...... A Infantry Regiment is just that..... 3-5 Battalions of Infantry. Artillery same. Cavalry same. It was part of the style of the times.

Now with combined arms thinking........ Pure stops at the Battalion level, and Brigades are built of Battalions tasked to missions.
yeah i change it after i noticed what i had type but you got there first lol

to the second part of your comment the U.S. army has Broken up all of its Regiment to form the brigades which the army is now made up of.
just to be clear the Regiments are still on the books as can be seen here:

7th Cavalry Regiment
1st Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.
2nd Battalion is a combined arms battalion of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.
3rd Squadron Deactivated 01-7-2015
4th Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, stationed at Camp Hovey, South Korea.
5th Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia.

Last edited by Tnchi2a; 03-24-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnchi2a View Post
yeah i change it after i noticed what i had type but you got there first lol

to the second part of your comment the U.S. army has Broken up all of its Regiment to form the brigades which the army is now made up of.
just to be clear the Regiments are still on the books as can be seen here:

7th Cavalry Regiment
1st Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.
2nd Battalion is a combined arms battalion of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.
3rd Squadron Deactivated 01-7-2015
4th Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, stationed at Camp Hovey, South Korea.
5th Squadron is the Armored Reconnaissance Squadron of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia.
What I meant was the title "Regiment" exists for Esprit de Corps and history purposes......... As a force structure.... they are not Regiments any longer.

Wrap your head around this....... Military Police Corps Regiment with Regimental crest (that avatar). See the liberties taken with the naming conventions?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:

What I meant was the title "Regiment" exists for Esprit de Corps and history purposes......... As a force structure.... they are not Regiments any longer.
That is the regimental system that the British have been using for centuries, and the US adopted at the end of the Pentomic era. With the exception of the cavalry regiments and the US Marines, of course-- they still have actual regiments as formed units.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yes pure stops at the battalion level, but that is only in peace time. During war Battalion/Company become Task Force/Team. You will still have some pure companies but for the most part at least when I was in Armor and Infantry will be changing to this.

An example of this 1-303AR, 1-161IN peach time both are battalions.
1-303AR has A, B, C, D, and HHC companies.
1-161IN has A, B, C, D, and HHC companies.
At the start of large scale war would change to Task Force.
TF 1-303 would have A, B, C Team, D, and HHC Companies.
A and C Team would be a tank team, B would be an infantry team.
TF 1-161 would have A, B, C team, D, and HHC companies.
A amd C would be infantry team, B would be a tank team.
A tank team is two tank platoons and tank command section, giveing up one tank platoon for one mechanized infantry platoon.
A Infantry platoon is two mechanized infantry platoons and command section, giveing up one infantry platoon for tank platoon.

Or at least that was how I was trained in the early 1990's (1993) and my unit was training for a resumption of hostilites in Keora.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Yes pure stops at the battalion level, but that is only in peace time. During war Battalion/Company become Task Force/Team. You will still have some pure companies but for the most part at least when I was in Armor and Infantry will be changing to this.

An example of this 1-303AR, 1-161IN peach time both are battalions.
1-303AR has A, B, C, D, and HHC companies.
1-161IN has A, B, C, D, and HHC companies.
At the start of large scale war would change to Task Force.
TF 1-303 would have A, B, C Team, D, and HHC Companies.
A and C Team would be a tank team, B would be an infantry team.
TF 1-161 would have A, B, C team, D, and HHC companies.
A amd C would be infantry team, B would be a tank team.
A tank team is two tank platoons and tank command section, giveing up one tank platoon for one mechanized infantry platoon.
A Infantry platoon is two mechanized infantry platoons and command section, giveing up one infantry platoon for tank platoon.

Or at least that was how I was trained in the early 1990's (1993) and my unit was training for a resumption of hostilites in Keora.
True, task organization does happen at Battalion level...... cross leveling to take advantage of the strengths of either...... Germans taught us that one with Ersatz units.

Task Forces are a mission dictates organization that still belongs to the parent Brigade.