RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Belize

Anyone have any canon references to Belize?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM

An army marches on its Belize?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
An army marches on its Belize?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM

General Pain did a Belize guide once...i tried to upload it here but it failed. Search his hisotry...
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 AM

I believe there's only reference to Belize in Merc:2000 and/or the Gazetter. It's not exactly T2K, but I can't think of too many reasons why it can't still be incorporated in some form or other.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks guys, didn't think there were any. Having reread "The Long Reach" by Mike Lunnon-Wood I have a few plans...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

You're probably aware of this, but on the off chance that you're not Rowland White (same guy who wrote Vulcan 607) wrote a non fiction work about Belize called Phoenix Squadron which may be of some use.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Like Legbreaker said, the closest would be the Merc 2000 Gazetter entry for Belize. Neighboring Guatemala claims that Belize is actually part of Guatemala and sends in the troops. The Belize Defense Forces respond, the UK raises some mercs, as does the US. I can't remember the specifics but the implication was that the US air mobile group is actually paid for by US oil companies.

Here's a wikipedia entry on the real life Guatemala/Belize dispute:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatema...zean_territory

Anyone know what real life UK forces were stationed in Belize in 1994?

and would the invasion of Belize even happen in T2K? Guatemala with US support was fighting a communist style insurgency in the 80's.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM

The forces posted in 1994 are probably more a reflection of the budget cuts of the 1990's, rather than actually helping defend Belize against Guatamala. During the 1980's there were 1,500.

Here's a rough ORBAT that I came up with:

633 (Belize) Signals Troop RSIGS

1 X Infantry Battalion / 1x Infantry Company (Depending on political climate)

Battery Royal Artillery
Blowpipe Troop, 43 AD Battery

52 Field Sqn RE

‘Detachment’- 7 Regiment AAC

24 Transport Sqn RCT (Until 1992)

78 (BELIZE) Coy RAOC (Until 1992)

(Belize) Provost Plt RMP

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM

There was also a Royal Air Force presence

Six Harriers were stationed in Belize from 1977 until July 1993, initially as Harrier Detachment (Hardet) Belize which became 1417 Flight.

1563 Flight operated the Puma helicopter until it was withdrawn in 1994.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Some of the draw down was also that Guatemala began to accept the fact that Belize could exist as an independent nation, whereas in the 1980' there was a real chance that Guatemala would invade the country.

Now given the state of Britain by say 1998 that could easily change.

By the way one thing to take into account would be the effect of Hurricane Mitch in late 1998 on the whole of Central America and how that would affect an area that already would be reeling from the affects of the war.

(i.e. keep in mind that the only Central American nation besides Mexico producing any oil would be Guatemala - so the only way for them to run vehicles would be either methanol or ethanal - here comes Mitch and a lot of damage to agriculture so there goes the ethanol)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
(i.e. keep in mind that the only Central American nation besides Mexico producing any oil would be Guatemala - so the only way for them to run vehicles would be either methanol or ethanal - here comes Mitch and a lot of damage to agriculture so there goes the ethanol)
If you are going for realism, methanol production will not work as it does in the game. While it makes for interesting gameplay it is not possible given chemical and biological restrictions. I still cringe a bit whenever i see someone mention it in a discussion of large scale post apocalyptic logistics. I understand it counters canon, but to me it is actually less realistic than zombies.

For more information see here http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=226
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
General Pain did a Belize guide once...i tried to upload it here but it failed. Search his hisotry...
I have a PDF of a website someone did in the past about Central america in T2K called "Copan" -- sadly, I have failed so far in contacting the author. He has some interesting stuff about Central america.

I actually have several PDFs of lost websites, but only one person (TR) has given me permission to post his site.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
If you are going for realism, methanol production will not work as it does in the game. While it makes for interesting gameplay it is not possible given chemical and biological restrictions. I still cringe a bit whenever i see someone mention it in a discussion of large scale post apocalyptic logistics. I understand it counters canon, but to me it is actually less realistic than zombies.

Has anyone with a science background done some research into how it really works? Would it work at all for game purposes?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

You have to assume there has been a lot of Twilight 2000 material that has been lost over the years - the most tantalizing being what was supposed to be in the last magazine that was never published that would have finally touched on conditions in Australia

plus there had to be authors at GDW besides Frank Frey who were working on modules - i.e. his incomplete Kenya module

As for realism - you have to wonder if the designers even had anyone with a science background as part of their team

They defnitely were lacking in knowledge on naval warfare for sure (as anyone who has ever read Satellite Down, the RDF or anywhere else the canon deals with the USN)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Registered Registrant

You know, it is just a game.
It's not meant to be a hardcore, realistic, survival simulator.

Nobody would have even started playing RPGs if D&D was "realistic", (with all that xenophobia, bigotry, religious persecution, disease, famine, warfare, primitive medicine, primitive science, fear of the unknown, fear of travellers, fear of loners, indentured servitude, unhealthy living conditions, even less healthy work conditions etc. etc. of the "real" medieval European world - no chance the real world of that time will let people game out their own personal empowerment fantasies)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post

Nobody would have even started playing RPGs if D&D was "realistic", (with all that xenophobia, bigotry, religious persecution, disease, famine, warfare, primitive medicine, primitive science, fear of the unknown, fear of travellers, fear of loners, indentured servitude, unhealthy living conditions, even less healthy work conditions etc. etc. of the "real" medieval European world - no chance the real world of that time will let people game out their own personal empowerment fantasies)
Say, now hold on a minute there! "Puffs chest ridiculously" I happen to be a "veteran" D&D player, and I take OFFENSE to your insinuations!
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post

Big difference between a game set in a world where you can literally shake hands with a demon (just make sure to count your fingers afterward) and talk with a dragon (better from a nice safe distance) while strolling along with a character than has enough hit points to survive the equivalent of ten or twelve sword thrusts to the heart and a game set in the real life world.

And before the slings and arrows come my way (not to mention fireballs and lightning bolts) I love D&D and if I could find a game would still play it today (have a very nice 15th level paladin with Holy Sword ready and raring to go, let alone his buddy, a seventh level monk)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered Registrant

No insult to D&D is implied, AD&D 1st edition was my first RPG (in 1990) and I still have all my books - all I'm saying is GDW tried to make an interesting gameworld for people to play. So I feel that there's no need to worry over the realism factor if it's causing problems, particularly if it just makes things that much harder for the PCs without any fun for the Players.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM

I think though the tendency is to look at things that are supposed to model our world so closely and when they deviate we cry foul.

I for example don't like the "canon" of T2k (v1) so I change it, but not so much so that you'd not recognize it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That definitely bears repeating, Kato. Thanks for the reminder of those important discussions on methanol. In T2K ethanol is the only viable alcohol fuel option, and that most likely means a conflict with food production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic

Over the years I ended up playing more Harnmaster than D&D. And Harnmaster, if run as intended by the designers, is generally fairly depressing. For all the reasons outlined above by SSC.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Hi James.

I made these some years back, not canon at all but IMHO a good addon to running games down there...

http://thebigbookofwar.50megs.com/DOX/0-SOURCEBOOKS/
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking

Quote:
if you are going for realism, methanol production will not work as it does in the game. While it makes for interesting gameplay it is not possible given chemical and biological restrictions. I still cringe a bit whenever i see someone mention it in a discussion of large scale post apocalyptic logistics. I understand it counters canon, but to me it is actually less realistic than zombies.

epic comment kato
Old 05-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Default OT: Tragic destruction of heritage sites

It seems many of the people of Belize care so little for their cultural heritage that the deliberate destruction of Mayan pyramids for use as road fill has become fairly commonplace. I'm horrified:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-1...d-fill/4692894
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Banned

Its unfortunate that happened but humanity has a long history of similar things- look at what people did to the Coliseum in Rome - whats left is the shell - all the marble and much of the other stone in the building was used to build homes and fortifications after Rome fell.

Most of the Ancient Seven Wonders ended up being similarly pillaged over the years - look at the Pyramids in Egypt to see how much of the facing is left on them.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
It seems many of the people of Belize care so little for their cultural heritage that the deliberate destruction of Mayan pyramids for use as road fill has become fairly commonplace. I'm horrified:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-1...d-fill/4692894
Just utter, wanton, epic laziness.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM

I can't find any canon reference for Belize in my files, the nearest information about the area would be from the "Gateway to the Spanish Main" sourcebook which only really deals with Grenada. Chris Callahan's long lost Twilight 2000 page was dedicated to South America, particularly US forces in Panama which are quite detailed. There was also some information about the Panamanians, the Colombian Army, and a bunch of guerrilla outfits operating out of Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica. If anybody wants to have a look at it I can post it up.

Loren K. Wiseman's Merc 2000 Gazetteer has a nice scenario about a war between Guatemala and Belize.

Belize is an independent country supported by the British armed forces. Guatemala lays claim to the territory on the basis of several pre-19th Century historical treaties between Great Britain and Spain. The discovery of several large oil deposits beneath Belize is the main reason the country is of interest to the outside world, particularly the large global oil companies. The Belizean oil fields are currently controlled by Petro-Belize SA, owned by the government of Belize with several oil companies as major shareholders including the big British ones (Shell, BP). Those oil companies who don't have a share in Petro-Belize SA are supporting the Guatemalan's. The Guatemalan's attacked Belize believing the British wouldn't react. The British received advance information about it from insiders within the oil industry enabling British intelligence to reinforce its Belizean contingent using funds and resources from British based companies in the area. The Guatemalan attack soon stalled and for the past 18 months both sides have taken up see-saw attacks and counteroffensives.

Guatemala
Before the war, the Guatemalan Army was organized as an anti-guerrilla force, and split into more than three dozen separate battalions parcelled out among the country's 19 military districts. A few specialist units like the armoured company, the airborne battalion, or the special forces group rounded out the small force. As part of the preparations for war, six infantry brigades were formed by lumping three battalions together with a recon squadron and a few support assets. Mercenary troops were also used as cadres fort the brigade organizations, and also were used to fill in command positions in the battalions, rather than form separate units.

The Guatemalan Army has devoted four infantry brigades to the war, and also an armoured company, two special forces battalions (KAIBAL), three independent infantry companies and an airborne battalion. The rest of the Guatemalan Army is involved in anti-guerrilla operations in the interior of Guatemala. The Guatemalan Infantry Brigades are light infantry equipped with M16A2 or Galils, M60 MG's and 81mm mortars. Each brigade has a recon squadron with 4x Israeli made RBY Mk.1 armoured cars, and also an artillery group with 8x towed 105mm howitzers and 8x two and half ton trucks. The other units use the same small arms as the regular Army brigades. The armoured company has a HQ company with 1x M41 and 1x Jeep and three tanks platoons with 3x M41's each.

The Guatemalan Army is backed by the Air Force with two ground attack squadrons (8x A-37 each), a transport squadron (4x An-26 transports), and a helicopter force of 2x AH-1, 2x AH-6, 4x OH-6, 8x UH-1. The Guatemalan Navy also contributes nine SAR-33 type coastal patrol boats (three on the Atlantic), and 12 PBR type patrol boats on the Atlantic side of the continental divide.

Belize
The Belizean side consists on a British infantry regiment (British and European mercenaries), two local Belizean Brigades, and a mercenary air mobile battalion (Americans). The British and Belizean units use British Army small arms; L85/86's, FN FAL's, Sterling SMG, L7A1 GPMG's, 60mm mortars and Carl Gustav RCL. The airmobile battalion use American M16A2's, M60's, Dragon PIP, M214 6-pacs, Mk-19 GL and Stingers. The British Infantry Regiment has five infantry companies and uses Land Rovers, and is backed by a recon squadron with 6x Fox, a weapons platoon with 4x FV432 with 81mm mortars, an anti-tank platoon with 4x Spartans with Milan's and an air defence platoon with 4x towed Bofors 40mm AA guns and 1 ton trucks. The two Belizean brigades have three infantry companies and also have a weapons platoon, an anti-tank platoon and an air defence platoon each.

The Belizean's are backed by a force RAF aircraft (8x Harrier, 2x Chinooks) and 4x British Army Lynx's. The airmobile battalion also has 20 helicopters (2x AH-1, 2x OH-58, 16x UH-60). Belize also has four PBR-type patrol boats for river and coastal operations, as well as another six Napco raider river patrol boats co-opted from the coast guard. Belize pro-British sponsors are rumoured to have supplied two American experimental XM23AACVsfor use in riverine operations.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Banned

If you look at Belize you have the following there for sure in the 90's

BATSUB - British Army Training Support Unit Belize

- 70 soldiers acting as trainers for both the British Army and the Belize Defense Force

- 25 Flight Army Air Corps - two Westland Gazelles and two Westland Lynx - which included a detachment of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME0 to perform maintenance - based at the Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport in Belize

the British battalion and the Harriers left in 1994 but with the V1 timeline you could see them still there - or possibly re-deployed as the war started if the Soviets tried to destabilize the country with guerrillas as they did in Africa

also could be soldiers there as well going thru the training that got stranded there after the TDM and the strikes on Britain at least until they could arrange transport to get home
Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
the British battalion and the Harriers left in 1994 but with the V1 timeline you could see them still there - or possibly re-deployed as the war started if the Soviets tried to destabilize the country with guerrillas as they did in Africa
Could a Territorial Army of the British Army not be deployed in Belize freeing the regular army battalion for combat use.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Could a Territorial Army of the British Army not be deployed in Belize freeing the regular army battalion for combat use.
Short answer is yes.

Problem is where said TA Battalion would come from. In the V1 timeline the TA Battalions were tasked with either reinforcing the British Army of the Rhine or United Kingdom Home Defence. There were no "spare" TA Battalions available so to redeploy one to Belize would mean pulling it from one of those two areas.

You'd have to ask the question as to how important Belize would be in the overall scheme of things - would it warrant pulling a Battalion from Germany or the UK? I doubt it very much - best case would probably be a reinforced Company.

In the V2 timeline there would have been even less TA Battalions.

(Obviously the above is based on RL TA deployments - if you opt to have hypothetical regular / TA Battalions raised during the course of the War in your T2K world it becomes more possible)